In 1947, the area east of the Southern Pacific Railroad in Linda was plagued with a continuing problem of burning sawdust from a local sawmill on Hammonton Road near Rupert Avenue. This sawdust, which was spread over property at the south end of Rupert Avenue, had caught fire and had blanketed the area with smoke and ashes for several months. During a public meeting called to discuss the matter, someone suggested that a fire department be organized. On August 23, 1948, the Yuba County Board of Supervisors held a public hearing, at which time the Linda Fire Protection District was officially formed to serve the 25 square miles in and around the community of Linda.
The original fire station was opened in 1948 and was located behind the current Station 1 on Scales Avenue. J.S Martin, John Gledhill, and Jack Dunning were elected as the first Fire Commissioners for the new district and would remain in their elected positions until 1972. At the first meeting held by the Commissioners, Charles Miller was appointed as the Fire Chief. The first fire engine was delivered to the department in September, 1949.
The first station was big enough to house two engines, one office and a restroom. The twenty-five volunteer firemen responded to fires and assisted the strong woman’s auxiliary who responded to the medical aid calls. The old station is still standing today where it is used to perform maintenance on the fire apparatus and for storage of parts and equipment.